Choosing the right pump size for your waterjet system
When it comes to waterjet pumps, bigger isn't always better. Let's take a look at the advantages and disadvantages of two different sized pumps: 60,000 psi vs. 90,000 psi.
Advantages of a larger pump:
- Can cut thicker (more than 4") material
- Can cut at a higher cut speed
- Uses less abrasive
Disadvantages of a larger pump:
- Costs more to own and maintain
- Higher downtime and shorter time between maintenance intervals because parts will wear out faster
Advantages of a smaller pump:
- Lower total cost of ownership
- In many cases, a smaller pump can match the cut speed of a larger pump
- Higher reliability
- Longer time between service intervals
To summarize then, a larger pump may enable you to cut thicker material and at a higher cut speed, but you'll experience a higher operating cost and more downtime compared to a smaller pump.