Special Olympics

Posted on 16/03/2016
Posted by Hypertherm

Special Olympics logoBringing the Special Olympics to the Upper Valley is a big job, but a rewarding one! The events give adults and children with differing abilities a chance to celebrate their abilities, and at the same time build confidence and physical fitness.

Over the past 10 years, Hypertherm has been proud to support the Upper Valley Fall Games. Our Associates have donated hundreds of hours – planning and assisting at events such as cross country running, volleyball, bowling, and equestrian competitions.

To learn more about Special Olympics, visit http://www.sonh.org.

Why Special Olympics, why 10 years?

Hypertherm Associate Cathie Meyer has helped organize Hypertherm’s sponsorship of the games for many years now. She explains why she does it:

“When Special Olympics came to Hypertherm ten years ago asking for support and involvement in creating the ‘Fall Games,’ it started me thinking about my volunteer activities.

“It was pretty easy to use ‘Earned Time Off’ and ‘Community Service Time’ (CST) when my children were in school in a way that was meaningful to me, but as an empty nester finding the best use of CST became a thoughtful exercise in making choices meaningful. Clearly supporting my community and making a difference is part of the criteria, I found being able to know and see how my time makes a tangible impact upon my community and being able to blend this time with my outside volunteer time became important to me.

“Being a member of the Hypertherm Special Olympics Management Team gave me the opportunity to leverage what ‘I like to do, and do well’ and provided a safe environment to develop and grow additional skills learning from my team members. As Hypertherm grows, our community service endeavors have become an avenue to meet and engage with fellow owners across teams and regions that I might otherwise never meet.

“There is always stress organizing, preparing and doing the event to make sure all goes well, and in the heat of the moment find myself wondering why I do this to myself. At the end of the day, it’s about seeing the team camaraderie, the athletes compete, the excitement of receiving awards that has me coming back year after year.”

- Cathie Meyer

Thank you Cathie, and all the Associates who served on this past year’s Special Olympics management team: Jen Barkley, Brenda Melius, Annette Hoffa, Scott Hagland, George Caccavaro, Matt Gagne, Erika Konkel, and Stacey Chiocchio. And a special “thank you” to all of the many Associates who were lane keepers and cheerleaders, your spirit made the event very special for the athletes and their families.

Posted on 16/03/2016
Posted by Hypertherm