Working with us
What we are looking for
Hypertherm Ventures partners with universities, startups, entrepreneurs, and innovative early-stage companies working on products and services related to our focus areas. Specifically, we look for:
- A leadership team with a track record of success
- Products and technology with strong value propositions
- A well-articulated and scalable business model
- Strong customer engagement linked to impactful market opportunity in 2 – 7 years
Our strategic interest areas
Industrial cutting, welding, and thermal processing
Closest to Hypertherm’s core expertise this area includes non-contact cutting and welding processes for advanced fabrication technologies
Industrial Internet of Things (IoT)
The evolution of a distributed control system that allows for a higher degree of automation by using sensors and cloud computing to refine and optimize the process controls
Robotics and automation
Guided by their human counterparts, robotics is called upon to perform tasks that may be completed more efficiently and profitably than manual labor
Machine learning, AI
Marketplace predictions and decision-making made quicker and easier ahead of putting systems into operation
Reducing waste and allowing businesses to produce parts faster and at a lower cost than traditional subtractive techniques
New materials and modifications to existing counterparts to obtain better performance in characteristics that are critical for specific applications
Why Hypertherm Ventures?
Hypertherm Ventures helps shape possibilities for its venture partners by bridging the gap between knowledge and investment capital through its:
- Rich history of innovation and unparalleled expertise in the industrial cutting and fabrication space
- Commitment to advanced technology development and manufacturing team support
- History of operational excellence, continuous improvement, and implementation of leading lean manufacturing practices
- Global footprint and access to industrial channels
- Proven track record of launching and scaling products and services
A triple bottom line approach of people, planet, and profit guides all that Hypertherm Ventures does. It’s a commitment to people, the planet, and the community allows the Venture’s Team to connect to our values daily while still driving business performance excellence.
The unique relationship we share with Dartmouth College and its Thayer School of Engineering goes back to Hypertherm’s roots when co-founders Mr. Couch (Class of ’64 and Thayer grad ’65) and Professor Dean invented radial injection plasma cutting. As one of the oldest professional schools of engineering in the country, Dartmouth offers an engineering sciences education unencumbered by departmental divisions — fostering cross-disciplinary innovation in research and teaching all in nearby Hanover, New Hampshire.
And, a presence and focus in key entrepreneurial ecosystems like the Silicon Valley and Boston allows the Hypertherm Ventures team to stay current and responsive — we’ll meet you where the innovation happens.